The sad truth is that as the world has become more globalised and we have become more accustomed to having berries and tomatoes all year round, our foods contain less vitamins and minerals and can no longer be a viable and reliable source of nutrition.
How do fruits and vegetables make their vitamins? They make vitamins from good fertile soil and sunshine. These are exactly the two things that we are not giving to our fruit and vegetable crops. Soil is not being allowed to rest and to re-fertilise itself by natural means, resulting in a 'tired soil' that becomes depleted of the nutrients that it needs to give the plants. Fruits and vegetables also need the sun to make their vitamins and minerals but because of the need to ship them around the world, they are often picked before they are ripe which does not allow their vitamins and minerals to reach their full potential. Once picked, the vitamins and minerals of the product slowly start depleting. Frequently, the product is then ripened with artificial sunlight.
I am not saying that we should not eat fruits and vegetables but quite the opposite. Our diets should be full of the fruits and vegetables that are good for us. How do we do this?
- Ideally, buy locally grown organic fruits and veggies whenever possible
- In general opt for locally grown produce even over organic if the organic produce has come from too far away (just make sure you soak them)
- Buy fruits and vegetables that are in season
- Soak fruits and veggies in a mix of baking soda and vinegar to remove any chemical residue adhering to the skin
Many people, though, do not always have the choices I recommend nearby or on a daily basis. Supplementing then does become necessary to get the vital nutrients that our bodies need to be strong and healthy.
So yes, we do need to supplement but we need to be careful - even with supplementing. Here are some guidelines:
- Choose liquid or powder supplements as opposed to capsules or pills
- Only choose supplements that are derived from foods, herbs and plants
- Check that there are not too many additives. The additives that are found in supplements that we want to stay away from are: magnesium stearate, sodium benzoate, titanium dioxide, artificial colours, hydrogenated oils, cupric sulphate, boric acid and ascorbic acid
What are the important nutrients, minerals and vitamins we need to supplement?
The supplements that I would recommend taking to keep our immune system strong are:
- Vitamin B (Complex)
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D3 (if you have no access to the sun)
- Minerals - potassium, sodium, magnesium and zinc
- Omega-3 oils
Do note, though, that we should not be relying solely on pills or powders to get our 'healthy' vitamins and minerals, while our diets are terrible!
There are many wonderful foods that will give us the essential vitamins and minerals, and which we can use as medicine. You can find more infos about the healing power of nature and of foods in my book 'Simply Natural Health'.
Take care & take your vitamins! :-) Juliet
Back to Journal